Fahrwerk für den Rennbetrieb

SUPERSAEB

Servus Gemeinde! Ich habe mich schon durch ein paar Threads zu dem Thema geklickt, würde die finalen Erkenntnisse aber gern mal hier vereinen und eine kleine Diskussion starten, in der sich mit den Fahrwerkseinstellungen der 999 beschäftigt wird. Wird ja nicht leichter, mit den 750er-Suzukis, 959/899-Ducatis, 800er-MVs und und und mitzuhalten :)

Nach 2-3 Jahren rumfahren rückte in diesem Jahr das Thema Fahrwerk mehr und mehr in den Fokus. Man möchte sich ja steigern und mit den handlicheren Modellen mithalten :) An meiner 999R wurde ein Stage2-Gabelumbau und ein Stage1-Federbeinumbau durchgeführt. Soweit so gut. Ein Thema, das bei der 999 wohl einen heftigen Einfluss hat ist die Höhe. Die Gabel habe ich bis zum letzten Strich (die Holme schauen also nur minimal über die Brücken) durchgesteckt. Eine solche Markierung gibt es beim Heck leider nicht. Im Netz habe ich nur eine Rahmenlehre entdeckt. Lohnt die Anschaffung oder gibt es andere Messmethoden?

Wie messt ihr eure Heckhöhe? Von Punkt zu Punkt? Mit oder ohne Fahrer? Letzte Woche in Oschersleben wurde die 999 deutlich agiler, als ich die Schubstange mal 1-2 Umdrehungen rausgedreht habe. Aber was wäre eine gute Basis? Sicher könnte ich soweit drehen, bis es sich verschlechtert. Vielleicht kann aber auch jemand eine gute Ausgangsbasis definieren. Sollte das Motorrad vorne und hinten gleich hoch sein? Die meisten 999 hängen hinten ein bisschen durch. Die Werkskisten waren aber relativ hoch hinten, wenn man sich die Bilder anschaut. Hat jemand gute Erfahrungswerte? Ich habe ein paar Bilder angehangen. Können die Experten hier etwas zur Fahrzeughöhe sagen? Hinten zu tief, oder?

Ein weiteres Thema ist die Geschichte mit dem Offset: Aktuell fahre ich die Gabel auf steil, was deutlich besser war als die flache Serieneinstellung. Lohnt es sich, die Geometrie mit anderen Gabelbrücken weiter zu verändern oder sind die Unterschiede zu gering?

Welche Möglichkeiten ergeben sich noch, um das Einlenkverhalten ein bisschen zu verbessern? Vor allem das Umlegen kostet mit der 999 extrem viel Kraft. Die Bremsstabilität finde ich gut. Ich würde mir aber wünschen, dass das Motorrad am Kurvenausgang nicht so sehr nach außen zieht und ein bisschen agiler ist.

Ich danke vorab für alle Hinweise :smile:

0058-0613R1-022_58.jpg.d582a77fa017c493a

I62A3809.jpg.f996f53689cfef9b40c547addd7

0058-0613R1-033_58.jpg.465360cedfc97e8d9

0058-0614R1-002_58.jpg.8d6a90c6b1fb43950

Edited by SUPERSAEB

Moin Seb, die Fahrwerkdaten der Superbike-Racing Modelle lassen sich nicht auf die Serienmotorräder übertragen da völlig andere Komponenten mit anderen Fahrwerksdaten verwendet wurden.

Als Basis für die 999R würde ich die 749R nehmen, da bedingt durch das Seriensport Reglement vieles was man an der Rennstrecke haben wollte, bereits im Serienmotorrad verbaut sein musste.

Es sind ja sowohl die Gabelbrücken der 749R völlig anders als die der 999R, als auch z.B. Umlenkung und Federbein.

Hätte ja noch nen 749R Gabelbrückensatz abzugeben... :-)

Gruß

Chris

Also generell würde ich sagen die Gabel ist zu weit durchgesteckt. Weil Dein Lenkkopf auf steil steht, mußt Du aber so fahren, damit Balance und Bremsstabilität passen. Aber Dein Nachlauf ist viel zu lang, deshalb lässt sie sich so schwer einlenken.

Besorge Dir Brücken mit 28mm Offset (entweder die von der 749R oder Magnesium von mir) und die Umlenkung der 749R hinten. Mach die Schwinge länger und schon hast Du ein Bike welches dahin fährt wohin Du schaust mit einem super Handling und Grip bis zum Abwinken. Du wirst Deine 999 nicht mehr erkennen. Fährt sich absolut zielgenau und hat richtig Traktion.

Ich hab mal in einem anderen Forum etwas dazu gefunden, als ich mich mit meinem Umbau beschäftigt habe. Fand es sehr interessant und aufschlussreich.

Ich kann da keine Garantien für übernehmen aber vielleicht hilft es ja:

So what exactly do you get out of the box when you get a 749/999? You get:

Trail 97mm

Fork height – one line showing

Ride height - 216mm (measured with Filante ride height tool)

Swingarm length – 478mm (set by chain length and gearing)

Weight distribution 49% front 51% rear

Center of Gravity - Stock

Wheelbase 1420mm

Steering angle/Rake 24.5 deg

Triple clamp offset 36mm

*all geometry is what is quoted in Ducati’s literature.

The chassis modification process for most 749/999 owners is as follows:

Stage One

Stage one would consist of just doing a basic setup on the bike (sag, clickers). No matter what you do an how much fiddling you do you are still going to be saddled with the stock springs which may be good for you at one end or the other, the rear is set up for a 110lb rider and the front for a 180+lb rider. So obviously no matter what kind of preloads you use you will still not have a well balanced motorcycle when you are done, but it will be better than stock. You are looking for 40mm of rider sag in the front and 30mm of rider sag in the rear. What do you get by just doing the basic “punch and tickle”? You get a bike that is at least working like it is supposed to. Just setting the sag and clickers is a major modification over how the bike comes out of the crate. I hope the way they come out of the crate is considered by Ducati to “not be set up” because if they think that it’s right they are scary!

Stage Two

Stage two includes stage one. Stage two will be altering the geometry of your bike for faster turn in, more feel from the front end and a more overall aggressive nature. This is a fairly good setup but it does sacrifice some stability (not to the point it’s dangerous) and the bike will have a “stink bug” type attitude to it which will load your wrist up more. That being said if you are even thinking about going anywhere near a corner you should plug the more aggressive geometry numbers into your bike. It’s an incredible improvement and most riders couldn’t imagine it gets any better than that…..but it does.

Your geometry results of Stage Two:

Trail 91.2mm

Fork height – 3.5 lines showing

Ride height - 226mm (measured with Filante ride height tool)

Swingarm length – 478mm

Weight distribution 50% front 50% rear

Center of Gravity – 3.2mm higher than stock

Wheelbase 1413mm

Steering angle/Rake 24.5 deg

Triple clamp offset 36mm

So what do we have here? We have a bike with a lot less trail, which will allow it to steer faster, but at the expense of stability and feel while on the edge of the front tire. We have a higher CG, which is good because it makes the bike easier to flop from side to side. We have a shorter wheelbase which helps the bike turn easier and the weight distribution is 50/50 which is going in the right direction. This setup is “fine” and a lot of guys can go really fast one it (it does chew up front tires though). This is how the 748-998 bikes were run unless you were going to pony up for the mag swingarm and the offset triples, which most people didn’t.

After stage 2 most 749/999 riders stop playing with their suspension, this is a big mistake. Because for not much more $$ you can take the next step:

Stage 3

Stage three is the MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU WILL EVER DO FOR YOUR 749/ 999……period. The way these bikes come form the factory the springs are horrible! They don’t work for anyone. The front is set up for a 180lb+ rider and the rear for a 110lb one. I know the first question you are going to ask is “why would Ducati do that” and unfortunately the answer is nobody knows. When I suggest to people that they get springs I get all sorts of questions/arguments which center around “I was told I could adjust my stock ones to work for my weight”, “You are just trying to sell me stuff” and my favorite “My friend, who is a plumber and has never sat on his bike in his life said I don’t need them”

Let me make a few things clear, YOU NEED EITHER OR BOTH ENDS OF YOUR BIKE SPRUNG! PERIOD! I don’t have months and months to type out all of the math and reasoning behind why you do. I don’t make enough money on springs to even make them worth stocking and selling, I want you to have your bike sprung correctly because I want you bike “right”. Financially I could give a rats a$$ if I ever sell another spring. If you want you suspension/chassis set up correctly and you don’t intend to spring your bike correctly don’t even bother reading any further. You will in effect be trying to build a $5,000,000 mansion on swampland.

Oh yeah, in case I have not been clear YOU NEED TO GET SPRINGS!

And after stage 3 even more riders stop playing with their suspension, which a mistake because they are only a set of 27mm triple clamps and a few chain links away from perfection. This is stage 4:

Stage 4

Ahhhh, the ol stage four. The big daddy whammy jammie of all setups. This is the “big solution”. Everything after this is fine tuning. This setup will get you 95% perfect. I developed this setup myself over the last two years by testing on the track, testing in the shop and asking questions from all the right people. I even had a chance to sit down with the Corse guys (AMA Superbike team) during tire testing at Mid Ohio and run all of my numbers past them………and guess what? I was spot on! Obviously there are some small setup differences and a matter of fact both riders run slightly different setups between their two bikes. But the architecture of their setup and my setup is near identical. To say that I was happy coming up with the same stuff they had doing it the hard way is an understatement. Stage four assumes that you already have the correct spring rates in your bike from stage 3 and are capable of setting your bike up like it is outlined in stage 1.

This is the point where the group buy comes into play, now you need 27mm offset triple clamps.

Step 1:

Install 27mm offset triple clamps. (A full set of install instructions, with pictures is included with the clamps that includes all the other chassis measurements that you will need to baseline your motorcycle correctly)

The 27mm clamps are a direct swap for the OEM clamps and nearly every home mechanic can perform the work without any trouble.

Step 2:

Adjust steering head angle to 23.5 deg (this is covered in the 27mm triple clamp instructions)

Step 3:

Raise the triple clamps/drop the forks until you have just the cap on the fork protruding past the top surface of the triple clamp.

Step 4:

Set the swingarm length at at least 495mm and you can go up to 505mm depending on what gearing/chain combo you are using. Measured eye to eye from the swingarm pivot to the rear axel. Included with the installation instructions is a gearing and chain length chart that will tell you what sprockets will get you what final drive ratios and the proper chain lengths.

Your geometry results of Stage Four:

Trail 101mm

Fork height – Just the cap showing

Ride height - 218mm

Swingarm length – 495mm-505mm

Weight distribution 51% front 49% rear

Center of Gravity – 5.08mm higher than stock

Wheelbase 1430mm

Steering angle/Rake 23.5 deg

Triple clamp offset 27mm

So what do we have here? We have a bike with more trail than stock, which will provide unrivaled stability and feel while on the edge of the tire, this coupled with the 23.5 deg steering angle and you have a bike that turns like lightning with more stability than the bike that comes out of the crate. You have a higher CG, which is good because it makes the bike easier to flop from side to side. You have a longer wheelbase which helps by adding more stability and a lot more feel from the rear end of the bike and therefore the rear tire contact patch. The extra swingarm length makes the bike a little more difficult to turn if used by itself, but when it is coupled with the front end changes it still turns like mad. The weight distribution is 51/49 which is going in the right direction, but I have run my swingarm all the way to 515mm as a test and got 52/48 distribution, which held all sorts of advantages, but did have the disadvantage of a little slower steering. This setup is “as good as it gets” everything from this point on is small tuning changes, setting it up for your style, alternate spring choices and small changes depending on if you are running fast or slow tracks. I have put a ton of people who have 749/999’s on a demo 06 999 with .90kg fork springs and a 9.0kg shock spring with the 27mm triple clamps and they couldn’t believe how much better the bike worked than theirs did. Every single person who has ridden it has purchased a set of the 27mm clamps…..except one, and he is saving up for them.

If at this point you are not convinced please read on:

To get the good setup it’s not as easy as putting a longer swingarm on, setting the chain tension and riding away. The swingarm needs to be part of a system to make it work effectively. First and foremost the bike needs some 27mm offset (stock is 36mm) triple clamps to make it all come together. Effectively you will be making the swingarm longer and pulling the front wheel up under the bike as much as possible. The triple clamps get the front wheel as close as it can get without the tire touching the cylinder head. If the cylinder head was not there, we would be moving it even more! In effect you are taking the entire mass of the bike and moving it forward in the wheelbase to get more weight on the front tire, a lot quicker steering, a lot more feedback, a ton more trail and therefore stability and front end feel. Even with this setup, which is now being limited by the engine cases and their length the bike will still be way off as far as weight distribution, swingarm length, etc as the current crop of all the new Jap bikes, which I am sure you can agree handle pretty well.

The newer Jap bikes have the motor built very short and therefore can effectively slam it very far forward in the chassis leaving room for a longer swingarm. And bikes love long swingarms as long as the bike doesn’t get too long. Case in point, my GSXR1000 wheelbase is 20mm shorter than my 999R’s with the good setup, but the GSXR swingarm is 65mm longer! My R6 is the same way. That is a massive difference. The name of the game in handling is a lot of swingarm length, lots of front end bias and lots of stability. Unfortunately the Ducati is limited by it’s motor layout. With a long motor all you can do is jam the front wheel up under the front cylinder to the point of near contact and lengthen the swingarm to the point the bike gets hard to steer. This is the point where the setup is at.

The Ducati Corse guys figured out the geometry foundation for the 748 916 996 998 749 999 chassis way back in 1996. The race bike stuff has not changed over all those years, at least the basic stuff that is. Of course they make small adjustments for each specific rider. I have confirmed the baseline geometry numbers that I came up with over the period of 5 years of being on these things, asking lots of annoying questions, taking a lot of notes, measurements, etc and then backed up my findings by putting a tape measure on 3 different Corse bikes and then asking one of the Italian chassis guys if I was on the money. The good news is that after a ton of testing, calculating, laps and late nights it was confirmed that I had come up with the same setup as they did. The bad news is that if I asked the Ducati chassis engineer first I could have skipped all that!

Why is this not done from the factory? It is the solution. Why Ducati didn’t ship them like this in the first place I don’t know. It is apparent that they know it works. Their race bikes have this geometry and they have produced one street bike with it also, the 749R. I doubt the 749R was a mistake; they did it this way so it was legal for World Supersport with this geometry package.

Also zusammengefasst:

Passende Federn in die Gabel, 749R Brücken oder Mag Brücken mit 27/29mm Offset, Das Dingen so hoch wie möglich (Gabel bündig mit den Brücken & entsprechend Heckhöhe angepasst) und das Rad so weit nach hinten in die Schwinge wie technisch irgendwie machbar.

Wie groß sind die Auswirkungen der 749R-Maßnahmen? Was bringen die Brücken, was bringt das Federbein samt Umlenkung? Beides nur in Kombination oder geht das auch Step by Step? Wie definiert man "Heckhöhe angepasst"? Sollte die 999 vorne und hinten gleich hoch sein (also Bug parallel zur Fahrbahn)? Mit oder ohne Fahrer?

Wie groß sind die Auswirkungen der 749R-Maßnahmen? Was bringen die Brücken, was bringt das Federbein samt Umlenkung? Beides nur in Kombination oder geht das auch Step by Step? Wie definiert man "Heckhöhe angepasst"? Sollte die 999 vorne und hinten gleich hoch sein (also Bug parallel zur Fahrbahn)? Mit oder ohne Fahrer?

Die 749R haben einstellbar 27/29mm Offset anstatt 34 der Serienbrücken, die 749R Umlenkung ist linear statt progressiv bei der 999R. Natürlich kanste nur die Brücken verwenden, die lineare Wippe bringt nur Vorteile bei der Abtimmung des Federbein weil vorhersehbarer als ne progessive.

Würde mir überlegen viell.mal etwas rotierende Masse im Motor abzubauen! Dass bringt fürs Einlenkverhalten u.Umlegen jede Menge! Preislich zu teuren Fahrwerksteilen ein Schnäppchen u.passt gut jeder Fahrwerkskonfiguartion o.Grundsetup!

Hab bei meinem 999R/05 Motor ca.2200g rotierende Masse entnommen! Nicht wieder zu erkennen speziell beim Umlegen! u.drehfreudiger wird die Führe auch damit!

Machst die Sache mich etwas profesioneller u.lässt die Sache kompl.noch feinewuchten kommt ein ganz anderes Motorrad dabei heraus ohne nur einer einzigen Fahrwerksveränderung!

oder man verbessert seine Fahrtechnik und investiert in Renntermine :)

manche Sachen sind einfach nur "nice to have". Die letzten Optimierungen kann man anfangen, wenn man zB bei den Rundenzeiten stagniert UND ne dicke Geldbörse hat. Oder man kann zeitlich nicht soviel fahren und ergötzt sich am Anblick der Diva.

Die 749R-Config wäre das Optimum, auch ein "NICE TO HAVE". Nimm dein Moped mal auf den Hänger und fahr zu einem Fahrwerksspezi und lass der dein Bike einstellen..., dh die Geometrie. Alles andere wird sich zu stochern im Dunkeln entwickeln. Keiner kennt deine Fahrweise und deine Befindlichkeiten. Am Ende kann dir so ein "Profi" viel mehr vermitteln, als wenn du anfängst stumpf umzubauen.

Es gibt Leute die Basteln gern, fahren nur 2x im Jahr und wollen da das Beste unterm Hintern haben.... und dann gibts solche die Fahren gern.. am liebsten 20 Termine im Jahr..

Das soll nur mal ein Denkanstoß sein

Edited by UXO

und letztendlich liegts IMMER am Fahrer....

selbst wenn ich diese Komponenten wie Malte Siedenburg verbaut hätte, dann würd ich wohl trotzdem schwerlich an seine Zeiten rankommen...:tuete:

Seit Monaten endlich mal wieder ein vernüftiger thread :thumbs_up:;)

hab schon befürchtet es geht jetzt im Forum nur noch um Kennzeichenbeleuchtung, Packtaschen oder Sitzheizung....:hilfe:

sind die nicht härter als die std?

Konrad, es sollen doch nicht einfach härtere rein sondern für den jeweiligen Fahrer passende!

Dazu brauchts meist nur etwas hantieren mit dem Meterstab!

Diese progressiven Wilbers-Dinger sind eher was für die Landstrasse.

Mag sein dass Öhlins euer Modell nicht in der Liste hat, aber diese Gabel wird doch sicher in ähnlicher Form in anderen Motorrädern verbaut worden sein!?

Ferder raus, abmessen (Länge, Durchmesser, Drahtstärke, Windungsanzahl) und damit auf die Suche gehen.

Vorne 95-100er Federn rein, hinten mit der linearen Umlenkung und langer Schwinge auch eine 100er Feder. Federn gibts egal ob Öhlins oder Showa zb. beim Zupin.

Die original Öhlinsgabel der 999R ist solange das sie in den 28er Brücken bündig sein sollte, kommt natürlich immer auf die Brücken selbst an. Hinten sollte man die Schwinge (Heckhöhe) so stellen, dass der Schwingendrehpunkt ca 2,5-3cm höher als die Achse steht.

Am besten man geht mit den Einbauhöhen von der Serie aus, dann läuft man schon mal nicht Gefahr vollkommen daneben zu sein. An der Front ist z.b. wichtig von der Achse bis unterhalb des Lenkkopfes zu messen und vielleicht auch checken, dass beim Bremsen das eingefederte Rad nicht am Kühler ansteht.

Auch hat die Reifengröße einen großen Einfluss auf das Fahrverhalten, Superseabs Moto2 Bereifung mit dem dicken Hinterreifen lässt den Nachlauf kürzer werden als jetzt ein 180/55, bei dem das Motorrad sicher 1cm am Heck niedriger ist.

Lange Rede, kurzer Sinn, am besten ab auf die Piste und selbst einstellen. Dann spürt man wie es sich anfühlt, ob es schlechter oder besser wird. Dann kann man ans Rundenzeitenfeilen gehen.

Und am meisten Zeit findet sich am einfachsten immer noch beim Bremsen!

Mit einer (zumindest angegebenen) 1,38 in Oschersleben geht's dem Mann vielleicht echt ums Zeitenfeilen und Verbessern im Detail.

@supersaeb: schadet nix, wennst etwas zu deinen fahrerischen Voraussetzungen dazu schreibst. Ein schönes Foto schaff ich auch, eine 1,38 nicht:tuete:

Hi Hans

Danke für die Rückmeldung. Mein Fahrwerksspezialist, Stäger Moto in Münchringen CH hat mir heute Abend bestätigt, eine Auswahl Federn auf Lager zu haben. Er hat meinem Hans das Fahrwerk schon eingestellt und war einige Jahre beim Bolliger Kawa Endurance Team beschäftig als Fahrwerkspezialist. Das hilft uns bei der Feinabstimmung der 749s weiter. Also, Federthema erledigt. Lese gespannt mit was da in tolles teures Material investiert wird. Ich versuche zuerst die Serienteile zu optimieren. Müssen ja nicht in die GP Klasse aufsteigen und alle Rekorde brechen. Besser in Trainings investieren.

Die grossen Kolben und Zyl. etc. liegen auch schon bereit, nur das wird in diesem Winter noch kein Thema.

Viel Erfolg bei deinem Projekt und Grüsse an den Werner

Konrad

Edited by humlik

Vorne 95-100er Federn rein, hinten mit der linearen Umlenkung und langer Schwinge auch eine 100er Feder.

kann man das tatsächlich so pauschal sagen?

Wenn ich vorn eine 10er Feder verbaue, dann kann ich max. den halben Federweg nutzen

und hinten so hart, da würd sich beim draufsetzen absolut nix bewegen.

Macht doch sicher ein Unterschied ob da ein 70, 90 oder 100kg Mann drauf sitzt ?:denk1: