Das geht ja gut los in der ASBK :-)
Freu mich schon auf die Rennen am Wochenende...
Josh Waters (Team Suzuki ECSTAR, GSX-R1000R) kicked off the 2018 Yamaha Motor Finance Australian Superbike Championship presented by Motul Pirelli (ASBK) season in strong form, after topping the opening free practice session within the YMI Superbike Class. Up to 50 Superbike machines have entered for this weekend’s racing, the most in the modern era. The return of Troy Bayliss (Desmosport Ducati, 1299 Panigale R FE) also got off to a great start with the second fastest time.
The YMI Superbike Practice One threw up plenty of intrigue as the reigning YMI Superbike Champion, Waters blasted his way to the top of the time sheets. Waters’ title defence couldn’t have started better. The fastest time of the day for Waters was a 1:32.798.
Waters commenting; “It was a great result, but of course it’s only practice! I still had the same feeling as the final round of the 2017 season. Phil Tainton and the team have done a brilliant job to improve the bike for this first practice. I hope to keep this up for the remaining days. There’s still areas for improvement so we’ll keep pushing.”
Coming up in second place was none other than three time WorldSBK Champion Bayliss, showing a massive improvement from testing. The result has putting smiles on the faces of ASBK fans everywhere. Bayliss and his Desmosport Ducati could be in for a chance of fighting towards the top of the Qualifying timesheets for tomorrow, as he registered a very competitive 1:33.410.
Bayliss sharing; “It was a good first session and we’ve made changes to the Panigale to make it handle a lot better. I’m looking forward to more sessions tomorrow. If I can find more time in the areas where I’m struggling, I think we can up the pace even further.”
Up next in third position was last year’s Round 1 winner Daniel Falzon (Yamaha Racing Team, Yamaha YZF-R1M). Falzon managed to win three YMI Superbike races back in 2017 at Round 1 and is well in contention to fight for victory in 2018. As a newly appointed Yamaha Racing Team Factory rider, Falzon posted a time of 1:33.657.
2016 YMI Superbike Champion Troy Herfoss (Penrite Honda, Honda CBR1000RR SP) set the fourth fastest time, followed by Yamaha enforcer Wayne Maxwell (Yamaha Racing Team, Yamaha YZF-R1M) in fifth.
YMI Superbike gets back on track at 9:00 AM for Practice Two on Friday. Qualifying takes place at 13:40.
YMI Superbike Thursday Practice Top Ten Times
1. Josh WATERS (Team Suzuki Ecstar Australia, Suzuki GSX-R1000R) 1:32.798
2. Troy BAYLISS (Desmosport Ducati Ducati Panigale FE) 1:33.410
3. Daniel FALZON (Yamaha Racing Team, Yamaha YZF-R1M) 1:33.657
4. Troy HERFOSS (Penrite Honda, Honda CBR1000RR SP) 1:33.662
5. Wayne MAXWELL (Yamaha Racing Team, Yamaha YZF-R1M) 1:33.665
6. Glenn ALLERTON (NextGen Motorsports, BMW S1000 RR) 1:33.876
7. Michael JONES (Allsite Concrete Cutting, Kawasaki ZX-10R)
8. Michael BLAIR (Yamaha, Yamaha YZF-R1) 1:34.177
9. Bryan STARING (Kawasaki BC Performance, Kawasaki ZX10R) 1:34.344
10. Matt WALTERS (Swann Insurance Superbike, Kawasaki ZX-10) 1:34.471